Department of Biosystems and Technology
For information, see: www.slu.se/en/departments/biosystems-technology/
Subject descriptionThe subject covers weed management within agricultural and open-field horticultural systems with focus on integrated weed management. This is the combined application of several long-term strategies and cultivation methods, which are environmentally, socially and economically acceptable. Research and development within integrated weed management are based on a holistic concept, which considers the whole cropping system and its development. The overall aim is to strengthen preventive cultivation methods to regulate the population size of problematic weeds, while simultaneously the crop competitive ability against weeds is optimized. In this way, the need for direct control methods is minimized. A central principle is to generate knowledge on how the different management strategies interact and affect the whole cropping system and the environment.
DutiesThe senior lecturer is obliged to contribute to the research and teaching within weed management. The research focus is the development of sustainable integrated weed management strategies and different cultivation inputs. The senior lecturer will contribute to teaching within crop production in agricultural and horticultural production systems and supervise bachelor, master and PhD students within these areas.
The senior lecturer will develop research and teaching in collaboration with colleagues within the weed subject and related subjects within SLU. Collaboration with companies and other actors in the knowledge system is an important part of the duties. It is expected that the senior lecturer develops national and international networks and collaborations with academia, and relevant agencies, the agricultural sector, stakeholders and the society and that she/he supports the strategic development of the department and the faculty and actively generates external research funding.
QualificationsThe successful candidate must:
- hold a PhD degree within agricultural science, horticultural science, biology or similar subjects
- be scientifically skilled within the area crop production with focus on integrated weed management
- be pedagogically skilled and have undergone training in teaching and learning in higher education or by other means acquired the equivalent skills, which should correspond to at least 10 weeks of full time studies
- have obtained external funding
- have actively contributed to networks within the field
- have good ability to communicate orally and in writing in a Scandinavian language (at the latest within 2 years) and in English
Assesment criteriaAssessment for the appointment is based on the degree to which a candidate possesses the skills required for the position. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of pedagogic skills as to the assessment of scientific skills.
The assessment of scientific skills will consider:
- skills in development and management of the research at university level
- ability to interact with the surrounding community and inform people about research and development projects
- ability to take initiative and do research in the subject area and to the ability to get external funding for research
- ability to actively contribute in different networks within the subject
The assessment of pedagogic skills will consider:
- experiences of course development, planning, implementation, examination and evaluation of teaching.
- ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in teaching
In addition to the above criteria the following skills will also be taken into account:
- good collaboration skills in research and teaching
Final date for application:2019-09-10
Place of work:Alnarp
Form of employment:Permanent employment
Starting date:According to agreement
Application:Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:https://internt.slu.se/en/my-employment/employee-associations/kontaktpersoner-vid-rekrytering/
Linda Tufvesson, Prefekt
+46 (0)40-41 50 21
Erik Steen Jensen, Professor
040-41 50 35
Denis Avdic, Faculty Adminstrative Officer
040-41 50 23