Department of Ecology
The Department of Ecology conducts internationally strong empirical and theoretical research and education aimed towards sustainable forestry, agriculture and conservation. Our research on populations, communities and ecosystems forms the basis for our research on the effects of land use and climate on animals, plants and soil. We aim at finding solutions that will contribute to improve greenhouse gas balances, conserve threatened species, support biodiversity and ecosystem services, sustainable wildlife and pest management in forest and agricultural landscapes as well as in urban areas. We examine also more basic ecological questions that include evolution and dynamics of populations in environments affected by human activities and from a landscape and land management perspective.
Subject areaThe subject area includes terrestrial ecology with focus on the use of natural resources in the agricultural landscape and the ecological consequences of it. The subject is aimed for studies on levels from individuals, populations and societies to ecosystems within the areas of soil ecology, wildlife ecology, landscape ecology, ecosystems ecology or entomology.
DutiesThe Senior lecturer is expected to:
- take part in, lead and develop teaching in ecology at bachelor, master and postgraduate level
- supervise students at bachelor, master and postgraduate level
- develop and conduct research within parts of the areas mentioned above
- actively apply for external research grants
- develop and maintain national and international networks with researchers, industry, and society in general
- communicate about research and its results
- be able to teach in Swedish within two years
QualificationsThe applicant should
- have a PhD in ecology or equivalent subject
- have pedagogic skills and have education in university pedagogics equivalent to at least 10 weeks full-time studies or in other ways have acquired equivalent knowledge
- be scientifically skilled within the subject area described above
- have good skills in English
Assessment criteriaAssessment for the appointment will be based on the degree to which the candidate possesses the skills to qualify for the position.
Evaluation of the pedagogic skills will be based on
- documented pedagogic merits
- subject width and experience in planning and conducting education
- experience in supervision and examination at postgraduate level
- capacity to integrate research and a scientific approach in the pedagogic work
- quality and extent of historic and current research
- capacity to independently initiate and carry out innovative research within the subject area
- experience of applying for and obtaining external research grants
- to develop and lead operations and personnel in an academic environment
- to communicate and cooperate
- to interact with society outside the university
- to disseminate results from research and development work
Final date of application:2019-01-09
Place of work:Uppsala
Form of employment:Permanent employment
Starting date:Accordning to agreement
application:Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representativeshttps://internt.slu.se/en/my-employment/employee-associations/kontaktpersoner-vid-rekrytering/
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architecture.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.
Ingrid Hemström, Administrative Officer
+46(0)18-67 10 47
Anna Lundhagen, Head of Department
Marnie Hancke, Research Officer