Employment: Permanent employment (possibly including a probationary period), starting Januray 1, 2020
Scope: Full time
Closing date for application: September 1, 2019
Campus location: Västeras
School: School of Education, Culture and Communication, (UKK)
At Mälardalen University people meet who want to develop themselves and the future.
Position descriptionThe Division of Applied Mathematics at the School of Education, Culture and Communication is responsible for all education in Mathematics within Engineering and Business study programmes, four study programmes of our own in Mathematics/Applied Mathematics – Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes within each of the areas of Financial Mathematics and Engineering Mathematics, and for research studies and research in Mathematics/Applied Mathematics at the University. Thus the education and research environment in Mathematics/Applied Mathematics constitutes an important part of the research basis for education on the first- and second-cycle levels, above all for Business and Engineering programmes.
The Division works strategically towards strengthening the research and education activities in the interdisciplinary applications of Mathematics with the aim of widening cooperation with the private and public sectors including other HEI:s. Our partners also include other schools and research specialisations at Mälardalen University. The area of Financial Mathematics at the Division assumes a central position in this strategic development of Mathematics in broad interdisciplinary cooperation and thereby in the research basis for Business programmes and the subject of Mathematics/Applied Mathematics at the University. This position of senior lecturer in mathematics/applied mathematics aims at strengthening the specialization in interdisciplinary application of mathematics in education and research.
The work assignments comprise
- teaching in Mathematics on the first- and second-cycle levels within the University’s Financial Mathematics study programmes, as well as in other courses and study programmes at Mälardalen University where teaching in Mathematics is conducted,
- development of the school’s education and research environment in Mathematical Statistics, including the development of courses and study programmes,
- supervision of degree projects in Mathematics/Applied Mathematics at the Bachelor’s and Master’s levels,
- supervision of doctoral students, and
- strengthening research, research studies and interdisciplinary and international cooperation at the University.
- be actively involved in applications for external funding for supporting research activities, individually and in cooperation with others, and
- follow the development within her/his respective field and societal development in general which has bearing on the work at the University, for example by striving towards cooperation and close exchange of knowledge with the surrounding community.
Please include in your application a detailed description of your pedagogical qualifications, for example in the form of teaching experience, course responsibility, level of courses, experience of supervising, development of teaching materials, pedagogical development projects, evaluation of teaching carried out, as well as a description of basic pedagogical values that shape your teaching activities.
For other information, consult the Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 4, and the Appointments Procedure for Mälardalen University. The entire version is available at mdh.se
Assessment criteriaIn general terms the assessment criteria shall be based on the ability to cooperate as well as the ability and suitability otherwise required to fulfil the duties well. The same attention shall be paid to the assessment of teaching skills as to the assessment of academic skills.
Particular importance is attached to the applicant’s merits regarding:
- teaching and research in Mathematical Statistics and its applications in business and economics, actuarial mathematics, finance, industry and engineering;
- experience from work in the private sector with such applications as statistical analysis of real-life financial or industrial data.
Decisive importance is attached to personal suitability. We value the qualities that an even distribution of age and gender, as well as ethnic and cultural diversity, can contribute to the organisation.
MeritThe ability to teach in Swedish is an advantage but not a requirement.
Merit is attached to ongoing active research and documented cooperation with colleagues in other subjects, which have resulted in joint research publications, documented active participation in the construction and development of a research and education environment, as well as a documented ability to attract external funding for research and education.
Merit is also attached to experience of development and programming of financial models and applications, e.g. in R and Python.
ApplicationApplication is made online. Make your application by clicking the "Apply" button below.
The scientific publications that you do not have in digital form are to be sent by post in three copies to:
Division of Human Resources
721 23 Västerås
The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete in accordance with the advertisement and will reach the University no later than closing date for application.
We look forward to receiving your application.
We decline all contact with recruiters and salespersons of advertisements. We have made our strategic choices for this recruitment.
Milica Rancic, Head of the Division of Applied Mathematics
021-10 73 53
Anatoliy Malyarenko, Subject Representative for Financial Mathematics Professor
Michaël Le Duc, Facklig representant SACO
021-10 14 02
Susanne Meijer, Facklig representant OFR
021-10 14 89