Southern Swedish Forest Research Centre
Senior lecturer position in forest policy is open at the Faculty of Forest Sciences, located at the Southern Swedish Forest Research Centre.
The centre carries out research, teaching and extension on forests and forestry with focus on southern Sweden but also in the other parts of the country and internationally. We aspire increased interdisciplinarity and our research is carried out in close co-operation with the forest sector and other stakeholders. We provide courses in various forest-related topics for Swedish and international students at the bachelor’s and master’s level.
Subject areaForest policy deals with utilisation of forest by humans. This includes a variety of different subjects, such as the interaction between forests and society under change, social and economic factors behind forest utilisation, decision processes in forestry under different ownership types, forest policy instruments at national level, and international forest policy processes and regimes. We look for a candidate that has international experiences as researcher and teacher in these subjects and is willing to take a leading role in development of new forest educations.
DutiesThe senior lecturer in forest policy shall develop the centre’s research and education in the subject area, as well as foster interdisciplinary research at the Faculty of Forest Sciences. A more specific scientific specialisation will be developed by the senior lecturer, in collaboration with the colleagues at the Southern Swedish Forest Research Centre, at the faculty and at university. The senior lecturer will act as the director of Forest & Landscape Management, an international bachelor’s programme that is currently under development with the expected start in 2021. In line with these duties, the senior lectures is expected to:
- take active part in development of courses and programmes at the centre
- teach at the graduate level and supervise master’s and doctoral students
- actively apply for external research funding and conduct research projects within forest policy
- foster interdisciplinary research at the faculty, university and with other universities
- communicate research and develop a close dialogue with external stakeholders.
QualificationsThe applicant shall:
- have obtained the degree of PhD in forest sciences, political science, economics or related subject
- have proven scientific skills within the subject area
- have demonstrated pedagogical skill and didactic experience, have undergone 10 weeks of training in teaching methods or otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge in order to lead and develop teaching within the subject area on basic-, advanced- and PhD-level,
- have good knowledge in the English language
Assessment criteriaAssessment for the appointment will be based on the degree to which the candidate possesses the skills to qualify for the position. Attained associate professor (docent) or corresponding title is a merit.
When evaluating pedagogical skills the following is considered:
- Underlying teaching philosophy and its practical application
- Experience of planning, performing and evaluating teaching
- Experience in supervision and examination at PhD-level
- Ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in teaching
- Experience in developing curricula and in leading the educational work is valued as an extra merit
- Experience in modern teaching methods, such as e-learning is valued as an extra merit
- Quantity and quality of conducted and ongoing research
- Ability to independently initiate and conduct innovative research
- Experience in applying and obtaining external research funding
Other considered skills include the ability to:
- Develop and lead activities and staff at university
- Communicate and collaborate effectively
- Cooperate with the surrounding society
- Inform about ongoing research and development work
Final date for application2019-12-27
Place of workAlnarp
Form of EmploymentPermanent employment. Under the first two years, the position is financed to 50% from central SLU funds. This is an investment in developing educational programmes at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, implying working duties within undergraduate and graduate education. The Southern Swedish Forest Research Centre finances the other 50%, with focus on research. After two years, the employment will switch over to the normal conditions for senior lecturers at SLU.
Starting dateAccording to agreement, as soon as possible during 2020.
ApplicationThe application should be preferably written in English as it will be assessed by foreign evaluators.
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representativeshttps://internt.slu.se/min-anstallning/facket/kontaktpersoner/
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architecture.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.