Department of Economics
At the Department of Economics, research and teaching are conducted in economics and business studies. Great emphasis is placed on applied science, and there is much collaboration with SLU's natural scientists. The Department teaches an agronomic economics program, a bachelor program in economics with a sustainable development orientation, and two master's programs, as well as running a postgraduate economics program. Prioritized areas of economics are the agricultural sector's economy and environmental and natural resource economics. The research group Agricultural and Food Economics is in a dynamic face. Our vision is to be a leading European environment for research and teaching within our area. We now have the possibility to expand the group with a senior lecturer. Visit the department at: https://www.slu.se/en/departments/economics/.
SubjectThe subject covers economics with a focus on applied industrial economics with applications in the agricultural sector. The subject departures from microeconomic theory and includes for this position productivity and efficiency analysis, operations analysis and market behaviour, with applications in the agricultural sector.
DutiesThe senior lecturer is expected to
- develop and lead teaching in the subject area of the position at bachelor, master's, and doctoral level
- develop and lead successful research within the subject area
- contribute to the development of the doctoral program in economics, and supervise doctoral students in the subject area
- develop and maintain a national and international networks including researchers, businesses, industry, and other actors in society
- communicate regarding ongoing research and research results
- actively apply for external research funding.
QualificationsThe applicant should
- hold a completed PhD in economics, agricultural economics or have the corresponding scientific competence
- be scientifically skilled within the subject area
- have good knowledge of English
- have demonstrated teaching skills and have taken courses in teaching and learning in higher education equivalent to approximately 10 weeks full-time studies (or acquired corresponding knowledge in some other way).
Assessment criteriaAssessment for the appointment will be based on the degree to which the candidate possesses the skills required to qualify for appointment.
In assessing the research expertise, importance will be attached to
- completed and ongoing research
- the ability to independently initiate and conduct innovative research
- experience of applying for and attracting external research grants.
- experience of planning, conducting and evaluating teaching
- experience of supervision and examination at doctoral level
- the ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in teaching.
- to develop and lead operations and personnel in an academic environment
- to communicate and cooperate
- to interact with society outside the university
- to disseminate results from research and development work.
Final date for application2019-02-05
Place of workUppsala
Form of employmentPermanet employment
Starting dateAccording to agreement
ApplicationUse the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representativeshttps://internt.slu.se/en/my-employment/employee-associations/kontaktpersoner-vid-rekrytering/
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architecture.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.
Helena Hansson, Professor
Caroline Carlström, Administrative officer