Description of the research programmeThe research programme “Romani language repertoires in an open world” examines the complexity of linguistic repertoires in Romani communities that are undergoing change due to increased mobility and transnational networking. Drawing on current concepts in critical sociolinguistics, notions of language as localised practice, and methodological frameworks such as translanguaging and metrolingualism, the team assesses data from linguistic interaction as well as meta-discourses on language collected through observations at multiple research sites in the Nordic countries, central Europe, the UK and Latin America. The programme takes a holistic approach to language practice, observing, recording and analysing face-to-face interaction, life history narratives, interaction on the move, discourse in institutional contexts, social media, and emerging literacy, giving attention to plurilingual and multi-dialect practices.
We are now inviting applications for a 15-month position (1 October 2019 or as agreed – 31 December 2020, at 70% of a full-time position) as a project researcher in Romani Studies as part of the “Romani language repertoires in an open world” research programme (2019-2025). Work will be conducted in collaboration with an international consortium that comprises the University of Manchester, University of Graz, National Center for Scientific Research in France and Södertörn University (lead partner).
Areas of responsibility
The successful candidate will be expected to conduct research within the “Romani language repertoires in an open world” project, which has seven-year funding from the Riksbankens Jubileumsfond (the Swedish Foundation for Humanities and Social Sciences), starting in 2019. The job description for a project researcher consists of research and related tasks. However, teaching in the research area may be included, at a maximum of 20% of the project researcher’s total employment. Areas of responsibility are:
- collaboration with other project participants to prepare for the research programme's implementation
- participation in the research programme’s internal seminars
- participation in organising workshops
- build contacts for future cooperation between projects, organisations and individuals relevant to the project theme.
An individual is qualified for employment as a project researcher if they have obtained a doctoral degree in linguistics, anthropology or equivalent discipline. Applicants must also have the personal skills necessary to meet the demands of the position.
The candidates’ documented research and administrative skills are of particular importance. In addition, the following criteria, in the following order, are especially relevant to this position:
- experience of scholarly work in Romani linguistics and/or anthropological research pertaining to Roma or Resande
- experience of interdisciplinary research focus and the ability to absorb the theoretical and methodological reasoning of other research fields
- ability to lead and participate in interdisciplinary research projects
- knowledge of Romani
- fluent knowledge of English (knowledge in Swedish is an advantage)
- experience of working abroad.
ApplicationApplications may be submitted in English or Swedish. The application should include:
- doctoral thesis or a web link to the digital version of the doctoral thesis
- other publications that the applicant feels are relevant (maximum five publications)
- research plan (maximum two pages) with relevance to the research project, prior research in the area of the research programme, and methods and materials relevant to the theme of the research.
The appointment is fixed term at 70% of full-time for a maximum of 15 months. It is expected to start on 1 October 2019 or as agreed and is at Södertörn University in Flemingsberg, southern Stockholm.
The closing date for applications is 17 september 2019.
Professor in Romani Studies: Kimmo Granqvist: e-mail email@example.com, phone +46 (0)72 5361946
HR Officer: Elina Nylander: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and to apply for this position, click on "'Ansökan via arbetsgivarens webbplats'" below.
Union representatives:SACO: Antonia Ribbing, tel: +46 70 602 87 61, email@example.com
ST: Karin Magnusson, tel: +46 8 608 41 75, firstname.lastname@example.org
SEKO: Henry Wölling tel: +46 8 524 840 80, email@example.com