Department of Biosystems and Technology
We explore the interactions between soil, plants, animals, environment, climate and humans in multi-functional agri and horticultural systems in a broad perspective for long-term sustainable solutions, and research facilities include the SITES Lönnstorp field experimental station with about 80 ha of conventional and organic agricultural land.
For more information, see : https://www.slu.se/en/departments/biosystems-technology/.
We are searching for a professor in sustainable cropping systems who can lead and develop the internationally recognized and successful research group Cropping Systems Ecology (CSE).
Description of the subject area:
The general subject area for the professorship is Sustainable Cropping Systems. Research in this area develops the knowledge on interactions between cultivated crops, the soil, weeds, cultivation methods and the environment, in a systems perspective, for the sustainable development of cropping systems in Sweden and globally. Future challenges include a sustainable production of field crops including vegetables and non-food, adaptation to and mitigation of climate change as well as technical change due to digitalisation and automation, and contribution to a bio-based circular economy.
The professor within the subject area must:
- develop the research program
- lead and develop teaching at all levels
- actively work to obtain external research funding
- actively disseminate research findings and contribute relevant knowledge to society
- develop and maintain networks and collaborations within academia and with relevant agencies, the agricultural sector, stakeholders and other parts of society
- collaborate with researchers within and outside SLU for strengthening the university´s interdisciplinary research in cropping systems
The successful candidate must:
- have a PhD and competence as associate professor (docent) or equivalent
- be scientifically skilled within the subject area
- be pedagogically skilled
- have very good abilities to express him/herself in English writing and speaking and be able to teach in Swedish/Scandinavian within two years
Assessment for the appointment will be based on the degree to which the candidate possesses the skills required for the position.
The assessment of scientific skills will consider experience of:
- past and ongoing research
- ability to independently initiate and pursue outstanding and innovative research
- ability to attract external funding
The assessment of pedagogic skills will consider:
- planning, conducting, examining and evaluating teaching
- supervision at doctoral level
- the ability to integrate research and a scientific approach in teaching
- pedagogic vision
Furthermore, the assessment will consider the applicant’s degree of skills in:
- developing and managing a research group, including advancing an inspiring and creative atmosphere
- interacting with relevant stakeholders and society
- communication of research and development projects
As much attention shall be given to the assessment of the pedagogic skills as to the assessment of scientific skills.
Final date for application:
Place of work:Alnarp
Form of employment:Permanent employment
Starting date:According to agreement
Application:Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as
guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:https://internt.slu.se/en/my-employment/employee-associations/kontaktpersoner-vid-rekrytering/
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architecture.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala.
SLU is an equal opportunity employer.
Hanna Sassner, Prefekt
Erik Steen Jensen, Professor
040-41 50 35