MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light. As a national laboratory, MAX IV is operated in agreement with governmental regulations, and in compliance with major funders such as the Swedish Research Council (VR) and the Wallenberg Foundation. 250 people are currently employed at MAX IV Laboratory, and 16 beamlines are funded. The facility is in a ramp-up phase with 3 beamlines now receiving users and 13 more scheduled to be commissioned and built to receive users within the next few years. The facility is dimensioned for 25-28 beamlines.
Beamline descriptionSoftiMAX is a soft X-ray imaging beamline (275 – 2500 eV) designed to take advantage of MAX IV’s exceptionally low emittance and the resulting coherence properties of the X-ray beam.
Available techniques on the first branch include Scanning Transmission X-ray Microscopy (STXM), ptychography, and X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) imaging. Research fields that are especially expected to benefit from these methods are, e.g., catalysis, electrochemistry, nanoscience, magnetism, environmental science, and areas of bioscience. The SoftiMAX beamline and its first branch are expecting to take light late 2019 and begin user operation in 2020.
TasksThe successful candidate will join the team at SoftiMAX and share in the daily operation, which includes user support, beamline & instrument development and commissioning, as well as maintenance. Alongside, you will have the opportunity to focus on your own scientific research project using techniques at the SoftiMAX beamline or improving its capabilities. This includes the possibility to develop collaborations with other beamlines, method experts, and external expert users in both academia and industry. We also offer opportunities to develop sample preparation methods and enhance the SoftiMAX sample environment and efforts in these areas are gladly encouraged and supported.
To summarize, we are looking for a creative and motivated person, who can utilize and enhance the functionality of the SoftiMAX beamline, and channel their efforts towards generating first class scientific output.
QualificationsPhD in a relevant field of the Natural Sciences (e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Nanoscience, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in synchrotron-related techniques, where experience in STXM, ptychography and/or XRF Imaging hold special merit
- Demonstrated experience in X-ray data analysis
- Outline of a personal scientific research project, in which SoftiMAX technique(s) play an essential role
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and interact with a diverse group of scientists and technical staff in a dynamic environment
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
Additional requirements are considered assets
- Scientific computer programming skills, preferably in Python or C++Experience with parallel computing and large-scale data processing
- Experience with coherent imaging and phase retrieval methods
- Experience of working with techniques for nanoscale characterization & sample preparation (SEM/TEM, STM, FIB, microtomy, etc.)
- Technical skills in the areas of vacuum; electronics; (piezo)motor control; and/or X-ray detectors
- Experience in providing user support
Other qualifications that are important are independence and initiative. The work requires very good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work in an international environment.
This is a 2-year temporary position. Depending on the level of experience, the person may either be hired as postdoc or temporary scientist.
On call services may apply in the future.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
To apply, please click the button "Login and apply"