Post doc in production technology – specializing in arc welding process
The candidate eventually selected for this two year full-time position is expected to actively contribute to ongoing projects dealing mainly with arc welding, Wire+Arc additive manufacturing, laser welding and laser metal deposition additive manufacturing.
As a hands-on team member, the candidates role will involve, but not be restricted to, the following:
- Conduct and/or be responsible for welding and additive manufacturing experiments;
- Select and operate monitoring systems for the experiments;
- Propose scientific methodologies according to project objectives;
- Conduct and/or be responsible for characterization and performance evaluation of the weldments and additively manufactured parts;
- Design new devices or adaptations of existing ones for tests of mechanical or physical characterizations;
- Establish characterization and performance assessment protocols;
- Write experimental plans;
- Elaborate design of experiment matrices and investigate the effect of various process variables;
- Carry out analysis and interpretation of data using computational packages;
- Writing and/or guide students to write journal manuscripts;
- Lecture theory of welding processes;
- Conduct and/or collaborate in laboratory welding process classes;
- Actively participate in the scientific and administrative meetings of the welding division
- Present results in internal and outside forums;
- Explore collaborations to complement processing & characterization capabilities at University West.
QualificationsCandidates applying for this post doc position must hold a BS degree and have obtained a doctoral degree in engineering or applied physics, although applicants with a PhD in any other branch of engineering/science shall also be considered if possessing appropriate experience and interest in welding processes. The applicants who have obtained a doctoral degree or achieved the equivalent competence in three years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority
It is highly expected that the candidates can demonstrate hands on experience and skills for laboratory activities related to arc welding processes, including parameter setting and operational modes (related to metal transfer and welding position) of the main arc welding processes.
The position also requires:
Full understanding on operation and application of the main arc welding processes and consumables (GMAW, GTAW, SAW, FCAW, PAW, SMAW);
Basic understanding on operation and application of the derivative and innovative arc welding processes (laser, tandem GMAW, high arc concentrated GTAW, MIG-LASER, oscillated feeding GTAW, waveform controlled GMAW, etc.);
Basic understanding on welding process automation and sensing;
Basic knowledge of metallurgy of engineering materials (mainly on carbon steels, stainless steels, aluminium and it's alloys) and of welding metallurgy (HAZ, FZ and welding cracks);
Skill and experience with metallographic characterization techniques (optical microscopy and microhardness measurement);
Knowledge of physics of the arc and expertise to understand the correlations amongst arc length, current and voltage, between arc and power source static characteristics and between current and the phenomena related to magnetic field (arc blow, arc jet, etc.);
Knowledge of physics of the arc and expertise to understand the metal transfer leading forces and the melting rate and bead formation governing parameters;
Acquaintance with welding quality assurance and most common protocols (WPS, welding personnel and procedure qualifications, etc.) and welding personnel (welding inspector, supervisor, engineers and the related ISO qualifications and certifications;
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
As at least some of the experiments are expected to be conducted in close collaboration with other research groups and with industry, we are looking for a good team-player with an amicable disposition to cooperate with project partners.
The following skills will be considered meritorious:
In addition to the direct relevant technical background, other pertinent soft skills are considered meritorious (illustrative, yet not mandatory):
- Basic knowledge on NDT applied to welding;
- Knowledge on experimental statistics to independently plan and carry out experiments, as well as analyse results;
- Good publication record;
- Project leadership;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Swedish.
Terms of employmentThe employment will be full-time for a duration of two years.
In case of questions about the position, please contact Prof. Americo Scotti at
The application deadline is 2019-10-01.
We decline any direct contact with staffing and recruitment companies, as well as recruitment advertisers.