About the department of mechanical engineering:
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is one of seven departments at the Faculty of Engineering. The research area has mechanical engineering as scientific foundation and drive product development capability for innovation in a sustainable society as a comprehensive focus. Would you like to learn more about the department of mechanical engineering? Klick here.
About the position:
The PhD student will conduct the research within the research subject area of Mechanical Engineering with focus on Data Driven Design for product development.The student will have an individual study plan in Mechanical Engineering, which details a research, study and teaching plan. Rules and benefits for PhD students in Sweden apply to this position. Teaching at basic and advanced level in Mechanical Engineering is also part of the position (up to 20% of full time).
About the research focus:
Achieving an efficient and innovative product development process to support companies and organisations in their competitiveness is a key area in this research. Methods, tools and approaches to support individuals and teams to enhance their innovation capability via the use of a model, and data, driven approach to engineering design and innovation engineering is the core focus of this position. The research is done in close collaboration with industry on national and international scale, with applications in transportation and manufacturing industry. Specifically, this position will deal with machine learning approaches in collaboration with engineering design to achieve data driven design insights.
The PhD student will be associated with the research profile in Innovative Product Development at BTH, and also with applied healthcare applications since this is also a field of data driven application.
Requirements: A successful candidate should:
- Hold a Master’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Software Engineering or similar topic.
- Demonstrate proficiency in English (reading, writing, speaking).
- Show ability to work independently as well as in a team.
Desired qualifications also include:
- Experience in project work within product development and/or applied health technology.
- Experience in working with microcontrollers and signal processing.
- Good knowledge in programming; Matlab is strongly desired. Python/C++/Arduino/Unity, and GUI application development knowledge is a bonus.
- Ability to communicate in Swedish.
Appointment:Only those who are being admitted or already have been admitted to postgraduate studies at an institution of higher education may be appointed to the position.
Commencement:September 1, 2019, or as agreed upon.
Employment:100%, temporary employment for 2.5 years or until licentiate degree.
Salary:For PhD students at BTH a standard salary scale is applied, which means that the salary is adjusted upwards as the student progresses through the program.
Application:Please submit your application by June 20, 2019 at the latest. The application should include the following:
- A letter of interest, including a statement of the applicant’s background and experience/knowledge in the targeted areas
- Certified copies of certificates and diplomas
- Contact information for 2 References
- The earliest date the candidate can start work
- Appendix with current publications (if applicable)
- Link to their thesis (latest/highest degree)
Mats Walter, Universitetslektor/prefekt (head of department)
Tobias Larsson, Professor
Mikael Åsman, Universitetsadjunkt, facklig representant (SACO)
Carina Petersson, Antagningshandläggare, facklig representant (OFR)